Two productions of plays by Israel Horovitz have been canceled in the wake of a report in The New York Times that nine women have accused the playwright of sexual misconduct.
On Thursday the Jobsite Theater in Tampa, Fla., announced that it had pulled its production “Man in Snow” in response to the allegations leveled at Mr. Horovitz.
“I am absolutely gutted. Israel has become like a father to me over the past few years, and I have learned more from him than I can possibly put into words right now. To say I feel betrayed would be a gross understatement, and my heart goes out to the victims who have lived with this for so many years and the pain they must be experiencing all over again,” Jobsite’s producing artistic director, David M. Jenkins, said in a statement from the theater.
The play, originally scheduled for March 2018, has not yet been replaced.
Tim Long, the executive director of the Circle Theater in Fort Worth, Tex., said by phone Friday that his theater has decided to scrap its planned production of a Horovitz play.
“Circle Theater was horrified yesterday to hear about the inappropriate sexual behavior towards multiple women by playwright Israel Horovitz. In response we could not in good conscience produce his play ‘Out of the Mouth of Babes’ in our 2018 season,” he said in a statement. He said a replacement play would be announced later.
The women in The Times article described several types of inappropriate behavior by Mr. Horovitz, including forced kissing and groping and, in one case, rape. Two of the women were minors at the time, they said. Some of the accusers had been his employees and many had considered him a mentor.
In response to questions this week, Mr. Horovitz, 78, told The Times that he has “a different memory of some of these events.” He added, “I apologize with all my heart to any woman who has ever felt compromised by my actions.”