Terry Richardson, a fashion photographer accused of sexually exploiting models, has been banned from working with top magazines such as Vogue and GQ, according to a report.
Richardson, 52, has been accused by multiple women of pressuring them into sex when they worked together, though he has still landed high-profile clients despite allegations three years ago that led to outlets such as American Vogue saying they did not plan to work with him again.
In the aftermath of worldwide sexual abuse allegations including rape against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, the ban on Richardson has now extended to properties across Condé Nast International, the Daily Telegraph reported Monday.
A message from executive vice president James Woolhouse to the company’s presidents in various countries reportedly said that Richardson should no longer be hired and that any work already ordered should be “killed or substituted with other material.”
A representative for the photographer said he was “disappointed” to hear about the email, as he claimed that all of his subjects participated in shoots with full consent.
“Terry is disappointed to hear about this email especially because he previously addressed these old stories,” the rep said in a statement to BuzzFeed News.
“He is an artist who has been known for his sexually explicit work so many of his professional interactions with subjects were sexual and explicit in nature but all of the subjects of his work participated consensually.”
Condé Nast International publishes editions of magazines such as Vogue, Vanity Fair, GQ and Glamour.
Richardson’s work appeared in the August 2017 edition of Vogue Paris, in a piece called “Hot Dogs,” as well on the cover of GQ Germany for a story on actor Alexander Skarsgard.
His ouster from a major publisher, a day after a Times of London article questioned why he was being “feted by fashionistas,” comes as models have spoken out about the harassment they face their industry, part of an outpouring of experiences in many fields after the Weinstein allegations.
Richardson has not yet publicly commented on the reported Condé Nast ban, but has denied any wrongdoing.
He wrote for HuffPo in 2014 that the allegations seemed to be an “emotionally-charged witch hunt” and claimed that his work has always been sexually-charged.
“I collaborated with consenting adult women who were fully aware of the nature of the work, and as is typical with any project, everyone signed releases. I have never used an offer of work or a threat of rebuke to coerce someone into something that they did not want to do,” he said.
A spokesman for Richardson told the Telegraph last week that “You are basing a story off of random comments on Instagram and old stories that have already been addressed. Terry is an artist who is known for his sexually explicit work and all of the subjects of his work participated consensually.”