GREEN BAY (WLUK) — 1 in 100 children are born with a Congenital Heart Defect. Back in April of 2005, McKenah Biro of Neenah became part of that statistic. She was born with Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome. McKenah is now what her mom describes as a “happy and sassy 12-year-old girl. Both joined Rachel Manek on Good Day Wisconsin to share McKenah’s story and to invite people to the upcoming Heart Walks in Green Bay and Appleton.
On April 4, 2005 McKenah Ann was born at Froedert Hospital/Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee. McKenah was born with a ½ of a heart, Tricuspid Atresia, ASD, VSD, and others. The right side of her heart didn’t develop, her Tricuspid Valve was fused shut, and she had two really big holes – one on the top of her heart and one at the bottom. However, because the holes were so big McKenah didn’t need a surgery immediately after birth. ? On September 1, 2005 she had her first Open Heart Surgery called the Glenn Procedure and a year and a half later she had her second, the Fontan. Throughout the following years she has had additional necessary things done like a Heart Catheterizations, Echocardiogram, EKG’s, stress tests, etc. She has also been on medication since she was born. Because of her condition and the medications she is on, when there are ‘normal’ things need to be done, like dental appointments or having her tonsils out, there are always additional hoops she needs to go through.
– Heart disease is the country’s #1 killer. Stroke is #5.
– Heart Walk raises money to fund research and education that saves lives from these diseases.
– Just 30 minutes of physical activity, five days a week, can lower your risk of heart disease and stroke. It also helps you sleep better, manage stress and improve your overall well-being.
– Being a part of Heart Walk is a great way to get your entire family moving.
How Can You Help?
– There are two Heart Walks coming up. One in Green Bay and another in the Fox Cities.
– It’s free to join and everyone is welcome.
– Together, both Walks have a goal to raise $220,000. I know the Northeast Wisconsin community can do this.
– Form a team at your company with your colleagues or with your family. Raise money together. Every dollar counts.
– Register your team online.
– Join survivors, volunteers and supporters for a wonderful cause on September 23rd or the 30th!
GREEN BAY HEART WALK: Saturday, September 23, 2017. 9am. Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
FOX CITIES HEART WALK: Saturday, September 30, 2017. 9:15 am. Fox Valley Technical College